Box modeling the “Ferrari F1” 2012 car is a project that I greatly enjoyed doing. The goal was to create a low poly model for IMVU without losing shape or definition.
- Box modeled using 3D Studio max
- Texturing, highlights and shading done in Photoshop CC
- F1 car created for IMVU catalog
Due to the limitation of the IMVU engine (DX9) I decided to have some fun and render the car with “mental ray” to add some definition in terms of realistic reflections and shadows. The first video below was compiled using:
- Animation done in 3D Studio Max
- Mental ray materials applied to model
- Mental ray Daylight system lighting
I then took it one step further and added some HDR environment and character animation. The second video was compiled with:
- 3D Studio Max
- HDRI environment mapping for showroom lighting
- Mental ray materials, HDRI lighting
- Character rigging with CAT system for animation of driver
Box modelling the Ferrari F1 2012 was a pleasure to do with only a few hick ups along the way. Finding correct photos for the three views (front, side and top) made the job at hand a challenge at times due to perspective but once the general car body was mapped the pieces fell into place quite easily. Here are some images from the creation process.